Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Finally got to the top and what a gem Dr. Deb has for me, maybe a reward for slogging through all the previous dreck. As hard as it is to believe, she is putting words in other people's mouths. Not only "other people", but people that might have been inclined to help her out... Does that count as "self-destructive"?

Anyway, I think she actually revels a bit more than she thought in this bizarre post:
I realize it is not fair to ask the folx at penn to stick up for me. but maybe if i write a little talking point for a couple of folks, they might would be willing to endorse it.

DeRubeis/Baron/Rescorla: Dr. Frisch has experienced a self-reinforcing iterative sequence of diatheses and stresses. The proximal stress - a fight with Jeff Goldstein on his blog, Protein Wisdom - was the result of increasingly disfunctional behavior following a negative tenure decision by the quacks (psych+oregon=quacks) in 1994.

This led to more stresses such as underemployment, frustration, etc. which led to less work satisfaction etcetera ad nauseum. Positive feedback loops can really suque.

Dr. Frisch's emotional wound from her relationship with the University of Oregon never healed properly. This is an opportunity for her to reset the metaphorical broken arm and move forward in a more constructive way. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, they say and we anticipate (p=.92193) that Dr. Frisch will parlay this experience into a more constructive use of her doctoral degree from our department.

Seligman: She was experiencing learned helplessness vis-a-vis work. many philosophers believed that love of work is the most important of all. the last twelve years have been increasingly stressful as she's devolved from a jew in academia to a palestinian. plus, her dog just died. makes me bawl just to think about it. I loved Viking. And sometimes I wonder if the payoff in terms of human suffering really justified abusing all those dogs. But .I don't want to go there now.

Rozin/Sabini: Moral disgust is a powerful emotion that can lead us to engage in irrational behavior just like any other powerful emotion. Is this really news?

Backus: Top-down processing based on an extremely impoverished data set can really phuque u up. Ugly witch or beautiful warrior? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Gleitmans: Well, she always did have a little too much chutzpah. u go grrrrl.

If I were mentioned in this post, I would rush to the nearest PR firm to get the message out that these are not my words or my thoughts and, in fact, I would like to disassociate myself from Dr. Frisch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home